Sports and Activities
Whether you’re cycling in Provence, working out at the gym, or playing footy, these are some of the sports and activities we cover.
Skiing & Snowboarding are only covered if you choose the Snow Sports Option
The A-Z of sports and activities
Activities in Antarctica, the Arctic Circle and Greenland (The Snow Sports Option will probably be required.)
Aerial safari (as a passenger in a licenced aircraft operated by an airline or charter company or in a hot air balloon)
American football (Gridiron)
Banana boat rides
Blackwater rafting, cave tubing
Bowling (lawn & ten pin)
Camel riding for a day or if you are on a camel trek
Dancing – ballroom, salsa, Capoeira, ballet, contemporary, jazz, hip hop.
Elephant riding for an hour, a day or overnight
Fishing (deep sea, angling, fly fishing, on a river, boat, or standing in a lake; but excluding ice fishing)
Fly by wire
Gym - including weights, Pilates, aqua aerobics, yoga
H I J
Hockey – field or indoor (excluding ice hockey)
Horse riding – leisure, on a tour with a licenced tour operator, non-competitive
Hot air ballooning
Ice skating – indoor and outdoor rinks
Kayaking - white water, sea, river, lake
L M N
Moped, scooter - Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required; must be wearing a helmet
Motor experience as a passenger only (excluding racing)
Motorcycle riding – touring, independent, organised tour, trail bike. Australian and local licence for operating this class of vehicle required. Must be wearing a helmet.
Motorcycle riding – as a passenger Must be wearing a helmet.
O P Q
Outward Bound, Duke of Edinburgh
Parasailing over water
Rifle range/sports shooting
Roller blading/inline skating
Rowing/sculling, surf boat rowing
Running or jogging, including half-marathon or less, marathon and ultra-marathon distances
Sail boarding/wind surfing
Scuba diving, when an open water diving licence is held; diving with a licensed instructor
Shark cage diving
Skiing (only covered if you choose the Snow Sports Option)
Snowboarding (only covered if you choose the Snow Sports Option)
Stand-up paddle surfing/paddle boarding
Swimming with whales/whale sharks
T U V W
Tuk Tuk as a passenger (excludes Tuk Tuk racing)
White water rafting
Working or volunteering
We recommend that for your safety you participate in sports and activities whilst under a licensed operator and wear any safety gear where provided. You may also require a licence to participate in some activities, according to the laws of the country you’re in.
If you don’t see your sport or activity here, please call our customer service team on 1300 843 843 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm (AET).
- Overseas medical expenses
- Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects
- Surfboards and body boards are covered for loss, theft and damage up to $700. If it’s worth more and/or you want to avoid depreciation, you can list it on your policy and pay an additional premium.
- Accidental Death benefit
- Total Permanent Disability benefit
- Personal Liability
You or someone you are travelling with must contact our 24 hour emergency assistance team to arrange any medical evacuation, guarantee medical expenses to a hospital and to repatriate you to Australia.
What's not covered?
We will not pay for any claims arising from:
- parachuting, sky diving, hang gliding, parapenting or travel in an air supported device other than as a passenger in a licensed passenger aircraft operated by an airline or charter company. This does not apply to hot air ballooning or parasailing;
- snow sports and activities (except those covered when you purchase the Snow sports and activities option);
- racing (except on foot);
- professional sports
- mountaineering or rock climbing using support ropes;
- riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet and without having a valid licence as required in Australia and in the country of travel for the same class of motorcycle you are riding;
- riding a motorcycle as a passenger without a helmet;
- scuba diving without having an open water diving licence or diving under licenced instruction;
- you, a member of your travelling party or a close relative intentionally exposing themselves to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
- loss, theft or damage to watercraft of any type (excluding surfboards);
- damage to sports and leisure equipment (including surfboards) while in use ;
- breakage or damage to snow sports and leisure equipment over three years old;
- damage to sports and leisure equipment due to normal wear and tear, including dents and scratches;
- any search and rescue expenses; and
- damage you cause to someone’s property or if you injure someone due to your ownership, possession or use (including as a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle or any aircraft or watercraft.
Full terms, conditions and exclusions are available in the PDS