Interstate travel in Australia

I live in Sydney and would like to buy travel insurance for an interstate holiday to Melbourne. Is this possible? Do I purchase travel insurance for Australia?


  • Up -1 Rated Down

    Hi Heidi,

    Thanks for your question, sounds like you have a great adventure planned.

    If you are travelling around Australia, you can take the Domestic policy which is available to travellers under 81 years of age. Please note that there is no medical coverage in Australia.

    When you take the Domestic policy, you can be covered for Cancellation Costs and Additional Expenses/Medical Evacuation for the 43 automatically covered medical conditions, provided you meet the requirements under the Pre-existing Medical Conditions section on pages 28-33 of the PDS. However, as there is no medical coverage within Australia, you would not be covered for hospitalisation or other medical treatment for any medical conditions.

    You can further extend this policy while you are away provided you haven’t been away for more than 6 months and you have not nor intend to make a claim.

    We also have a great article on our website about cover for travelling in Australia on

    If you have further questions don’t hesitate to ask.

    Kind Regards,