Children travelling by themselves

My children are going on a holiday buy themselves. They are aged 15 and 13. The holiday is based in Australia. Am I able to purchase travel insurance for them if they are under 21. Also my wife and myself are travelling overseas during the same period. We have an insurance policy (TIDAUS151089874). Are they covered by this policy even though they are not travelling with us.


  • Up 0 Rated Down

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for getting in touch with us.

    Yes, you can purchase a domestic policy separately for your children for travels within Australia. As we do not provide children’s policies it will be an "adult’ policy they are purchasing since they are travelling independently. I have sent the quote to you in a separate email to this one. If you are happy with this quote and wish to purchase you can do so by clicking on the “Buy Now” link in the email.

    Unfortunately we are unable to provide cover for your children under your policy (TIDAUS151089874) as they need to be travelling with you for the majority of your trip. As per our policy wording, a dependent is defined as “your children or grandchildren not in full time employment who are under the age of 21 at the date of policy issue, travelling with you on the majority of the trip, and listed as covered on your Certificate of Insurance”.

    For further information regarding our domestic policy please view our online article by clicking here.

    I hope this has helped and if you require any further assistance please let me know.

    Best Wishes,